Monday, January 31, 2011

Library 2.0 again

Do I agree that library 2.0 exists and what it is if it does exist? The library geek John Blyberg thinks that we are a different society, that our needs are different as a result of our communication styles. In fact he thinks that our needs as baby boomers are different than his because he has been raised in a society where communication has changed. Instead of a linear style of communication, i.e. I talk or write, you listen, and then respond, everyone one now talks at the same time. Nowadays as a result of twitter and you tube and Google where information can be updated almost instantly, everyone gets information at the same time. So information has changed, according to blyberg.net. We or they, no longer think the same way because we no longer process information the same way.
First, in terms of information, doesn't this sound more like a large get together to you? I remember them from my youth. Everyone got together, shared information, changed ideas as the information was processed and then reprocessed it.The only difference I see in those terms is that it seems like a longer get together. It may be different in the library and perhaps be driven by technology as suggested. I think though that it's an overwrought word. We are a service driven organization, always have been according to the ALA. Articles like Casey and Savastinuks' Service for the next-generation library suggest that we have to go out and find our patrons and bring our services to them are we really doing anything different than we have been? We're still serving the public, albeit with a less authoritative attitude.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree. Although I have been told that my opinion on this topic is just a result of my being "young" and not truly understanding the purpose of the library. I just don't see how making services accessible online and more engaging to web based patrons changes the underlying purpose of serving the public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point that everyone talking at once is a lot like a big party or family reunion. Lots of overlapping conversations and repeats as new people join in. Some people learn something new from everyone they listen to, but there's always an Uncle Bob who tells the same stories every time, and can't remember the names of anyone under 25.

    ReplyDelete