Monday, February 28, 2011

destination - good, gone, going?

I think, I'm afraid, destination web is dying as we speak. I love the thing. I don't like everything coming at me at one time. I love to go to the newspaper and read through, looking at different elements, things I wouldn't get otherwise. However, and this is not a non sequitor, email is now passe. This doesn't bode well for destination web.In email, there is still a sense of place. I think about what I'm saying and prepare it to send and then send it to a destination. The recipient receives the email,reviews it and then crafts a reply. There is a leisurely feel to it compared to streaming. The same for blogs in a way. Blogs, as much fun as they are, are gradually withering, not because there are not a plethora of blogs but because it's harder and harder to spend the time to read them. Now we have streaming and it's getting to be the only way to catch up.Granted we can get the blogs to stream to us but going out to find something is harder to do in time. We seem to be developing a nation or world that gets its information in a non literal way. I remember reading about a civilization that did not think in a literal fashion - instead they were completely in the moment - without a lot of reference to future and past and it seems in a way that we're heading towards it. Perhaps we were always meant to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment